The Corona Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday, August 18, 2008

Back to School

This week, classes officially start for me, as I take the 2 1/2 year journey towards acquiring an MBA. I am both excited and scared at the same time. Excited, because this is something that I have planned almost since I graduated from college, and I am finally moving forward with this personal goal. Scared, because I know that it will not be easy, and that I am really going to work my butt off in order to maintain good grades.

I have to put myself into "student" mode once again. I literally felt like a giddy schoolboy when my textbooks arrived in the mail, and even during orientation class when the guest 'teacher' enumerated standard classroom behavior... "no talking in class, pay attention, be prepared", etc. Some things never change. But in a modern twist, even "no emailing in class" was a rule. I think I have been out of the classroom too long to witness the proliferation and even standardization of laptops in the classroom!

The next few years will be, to put it lightly, difficult(!). With our little boy approaching the "terrible twos", another child on the way, and me taking up graduate studies, it seems that we (Caroline and I) have taken in more than we can handle. The first year of Lucas was hard enough... what more juggling two more tasks that take up a lot of time? Already I am bracing myself and I feel that I will have alot of nights (and days) where the only thing keeping me going is red bull and/or iced coffee. Yes, it will be difficult, but I do welcome the challenge. I am lucky that the University of Georgia (UGA) Terry College of Business evening MBA campus is located less than 15 minutes from the house, so at least I will not have to cope with travel time to and from my class.

Caroline and I feel that this is our transition phase in which the rest of our future will greatly be determined by what happens within the next 3 years. Transition meaning, preparing ourselves for moving up to the next step in life... in terms of career, standard of living, etc. She is always afraid that our lives may fall into a routine, or a rut. That is only true if you refuse to do anything about your current state. But we are not stuck; we are working towards greater things! While I am studying, she is working on our fledgling business (website coming soon... watch for it!). Dare I say that this may be the most difficult three years of our lives! But rarely does one succeed without facing a test in ones character, faith, and trust in ones partner (be it husband, wife, etc), and I look at it as such. We are at this point because of ourselves, and no one else. And we will face these challenges together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home