The Corona Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Streets of Athens

Wherever I go, I always make it a point to walk around the city. I simply detest tour groups and would rather go around on my own with friends, armed with just a Lonely Planet guide to show us the way. I don't like to follow a schedule in which I am only allowed 1 hour per site or risk getting left behind by the tour bus. I would rather soak everything in on my own time, stop for a snack in a neighborhood cafe, and get pleasantly lost in the streets of the city.

For me, there is simply no other way to immerse yourself in a foreign culture.

Fortunately, the Acropolis is surrounded by quaint neighborhoods, the Plaka and Monastiraki. Much of the streets have been closed off to cars, so there is no choice but to walk. Besides, some of the streets are so narrow that not even the tiniest of cars can pass through them.


The streets of the Plaka. This is the neighborhood at the base of the Acropolis to the east and northeast. There are the token souveneir stores, but among the tourist traps, there are tavernas (traditinal Greek restaurants) and shops that date back over 50 years and more. There is such an old world atmosphere to the place, especially when you venture into the more residential areas. Stray dogs sleep on cobblestone streets as locals go about doing their daily chores. And all of this in the shadow of the Acropolis!


Hadrian's Arch at the end of the street.


Monastiraki Plaza. From here, you can go to the Acropolis or Ancient Agora (Marketplace), watch people pass by in one of the cafes, look at the strange things being sold in the flea market, or even walk towards the main commercial area of Athens. If it weren't for the Greek flag and the Metro station sign, this picture could have very well been taken in Manila!

Athens is such an incredible mix of the old and new mixing together cohesively. You have this extremely ancient city surrounded by modernization. No doubt, this is all a result of the Olympics that took place here 2 years ago. But they did (in my opinion, at least) such a good job at preserving the spirit of Athens while updating it to 20th century standards.

I had two full days in Athens, which was just about enough to see everything in the city. If I had more time in Greece, I would have probably visited the museums, took a day trip to one of the islands or even to some of the historical sites up in the mountains.


Looking forward to my next adventure!

I would definitely go back to Greece again when I have the chance!

Η ζωή είναι όμορφη !

1 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger cyberlaundry said...

...i can't imagine visiting a country for A WEEKEND...

well, i can imagine it, and i'd love to do it, but it's not in the cards for me---yet :)(yayaaaaa!)

i can just see that sleeping dog in my head.

...nice pants ;P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home