The Corona Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, March 31, 2006

Georgia Aquarium


This is the Georgia Aquarium (that's Chad posing in front of it). Note that there are no people around. That's because we took the picture during closing hours. Normally there would be a long queue of people trying to get into the aquarium. In fact, there are so many people that want to visit the aquarium every day that you have to buy tickets in advance (online) and even then, you are given a timeslot of when you can enter. If Marc didn't warn me beforehand, Chad and I might not have been able to visit the aquarium at all!


Don't worry, there are better fish than these!


These are piranhas. These fish are psychos... unlike most other fish that swim around aimlessly, piranhas stay very still (which is why I was able to take a reasonably clear shot of this one). We were hoping that it would be feeding time when we got to their tank so that we could see them in a frenzy, but sadly it didn't happen (shucks!).


This is a catfish. Why did I post this picture? Because its his belly that we see. I took this picture underneath him (or her)! In some parts of the aquarium, you're actually walking underneath the tanks (more on this later). So the ceiling is full of fish swimming around. Our pictures don't really do it justice because in some of the shots Chad and I took, the fish look like they're simply hanging from the ceiling like stuffed animals. You really have to see them move around above you to fully appreciate it.


This picture was taken in outer space. Just kidding! These crabs are huge! There is no point of reference to gauge the size of these things, but according to the description, these crabs can grow as large as a car! These weren't that large though. Their bodies must have been the size of volleyballs, and their legs are about just over a foot long each. If you think their scary, just think of all the aligi in their bodies and all the meat in their legs... Yummy!


Starfish sticking to the glass. I think it looks cool that they seem to be holding hands. Do they do this naturally or was it just a coincidence?


They may look like large dolphins, but they are actually beluga whales. Aside from that... well, they are in effect large dolphins!


This is one of my favourite places in the aquarium. Underneath their largest tank, there is a tunnel made of a strong glass-like material (I say this because glass wouldn't be able to withstand the weight of the water) where you get to 'walk' in the bottom the ocean. Its so nice to see the multitudes of sea creatures swimming around above and around you. Below are some of me and Chad's Jacque Costeau moments...


A Whale Shark.


A Manta Ray


A Hammerhead Shark


This tank simulates a barrier reef. This is definitely one of the most colorful tanks on display. I particularly like the various Regal Blue Tangs swimming around... the type of fish Dory is from Finding Nemo!


No, that is not a movie screen... thats the biggest aquarium glass I have ever seen. This is my favourite place in the aquarium. That large fish is a whale shark, but there are other smaller schools of fish swimming around. Watching fish is so relaxing, I could stay here all day! No wonder dentists have them in their waiting rooms!

There is definitely more to the aquarium of course, but these were my highlights.

One thing I forgot to mention about the aquarium is that it is very kid-friendly. There are so many interactive pools where kids and even curious adults can touch the sea creatures, such as mantas and crabs. Chad was able to touch a shark! There are even viewing areas only kids can access (I say this because I tried going into one of them and came out with an aching back!) and an activity centre.

All in all, the trip to the aquarium was really good. It made me forget my fender bender earlier during the day (see an earlier post), and gave me more than one gasp of breath, especially when I saw that huge viewing area. I would love to go here again and again, especially when I have kids and when the crowds thin out.

La Vita e Bella!

1 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger cyberlaundry said...

hey love the pictures! let's hit the beach when you come home!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home