The Corona Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Rainy Day in Stratford

Just the other week, I was finally able to visit Stratford-Upon-Avon, about 30 minutes by train from where I live. Stratford-Upon-Avon is famous because William Shakespeare lived here.

It was not the best day to go, as the skies were already quite overcast on the way there and while walking along the streets, torrential rains poured down. Needless to say, I wasn't able to see much. But here are pictures of what I did see...

This is Shakespeare's birthplace. I did not go inside as there was an entrance fee to go in, and there was not much time to look around.

This is Nash's House. It is named after Shakespeare's granddaughters husband, Thomas Nash. Beside it, if you follow the garden path, is New Place. Shakespeare lived here after he became rich and famous as a playwright. Incidentally, this is also where he died.

This is the inside of the Holy Trinity Church. This is where Shakespeare (and most of his family) is buried. Take note of the bust on the wall. Although you can't see it in these pictures, Anne Hathaway (Shakespeare's wife) and his other relatives are buried beside him.


That's basically it! I saw where Shakespeare was born, where he died, and where he was laid to rest! I wish I could have taken a stroll along the river Avon, but sadly the rain was unrelenting. Maybe I will go there again one day when the sun is shining; who knows, I might even watch one of Shakespeare's plays!

Life is Beautiful!

1 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Vince said...

I'm sure it was in better weather! I really should try to go back there one day before I leave England!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home