The Corona Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Fever

Today is the start of the World Cup in Germany. Every 4 years, 32 of the worlds greatest football teams gather in one country to play the Beautiful Game.

Living in England has given me great appreciation for football. I was never really interested before, although I knew teams such as Manchester United, and famous players from around the world such as Pele, Maradonna, and Beckham. But I never followed the game seriously. It would be limited to whatever game was being shown on ESPN or Star Sports back in high school and college.

That all changed over here of course. I used to follow basketball and baseball in America, but those sports are virtually nonexistent here. There are 3 major sports in England; Football, rugby, and cricket. Football is easily the most popular sport here, played almost the whole year round. Being an avid sportsfan, it was easy to get hooked, and before I knew it, I knew what the offside rule was and what 4-4-2 meant. Match of the Day has become my favourite television program every saturday night.

If you are a football fan, you cannot wish for more than this. 3 games of (mostly) quality football by good teams every day for the next 2 weeks. And the games will get even better once the knockout stages kick in. That, coupled with the passion that people in Europe have for the game, can make anyone interested. Go into any pub or bar where a football match is being shown, and I dare you not to get sucked into the atmosphere. Before long, you will be an avid fan too!

La Vita e Bella!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home