The Corona Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Marathon Runner

Sunday, June 11, 2006.

One month of training culminated to this day.

Flashback to a month ago... My friend asked me if I wanted to join him and his girlfriend to run a marathon. It was for a good cause, he said... the BUPA Capital 10k. A charity run in Hyde Park to help raise money for disabled children. How could I refuse? I had always wanted to run a marathon at least once in my life, to challenge my body and mind in a grueling test of endurance. Granted, 10 kilometers may not seem very far to seasoned runners, but for me it was long enough.

Almost everyday, I went to the gym to train. I mixed my routine between aerobics and cardiovascular exercise. I ran on the treadmill on constant speed almost every day to train my heart to beat in a regular routine, while at the same time conditioning my knees and feet for the pounding it would take. I started out jogging for 20 minutes. By a week before the marathon, I was able to build it up to 60 minutes. On the days that I did not jog, I joined spinning (high intensity cycling) classes to strengthen my heart. It would make me used to the occasional bursts of speed that I would need and to ensure that my breathing was correct, even when my heart and lungs were working overtime.

It worked. By the time the morning of the marathon came, I was relaxed and confident that I could jog the full race distance.

Runner 7677


I met up with my friends and we went to join the other runners in the starting line. There were thousands, and I wondered how everyone would be timed. Fortunately, everyone was given a chip, which would record the time you crossed the start and finish line. So, it did not really matter who started the race out in front, as it was all timed. We started jogging, and I felt good. There were signs marking each kilometer, and by 3k, my heart and legs were working at their peak condition. By 5k, I was in a steady rhythm and did not feel tired. At 8k, I actually picked up the pace, as I was inspired by how far I had actually run to that point. And in the final stretch, they had a sign marking the last 100 metres. Using reserve energy, I sprinted as fast as I could towards the finish line.

Sweat dripped off my face... my lungs were screaming for air and my mouth wanted water badly... my legs felt wobbly... but it was all worth it. I finished the marathon.

The Fruit of My Labour

This medal was the only thing that the runners received for finishing the race. It may have been one of the thousands awarded, but I cherish it. I literally sweated for it, and I earned it.

But more importantly, I proved to myself that I am capable of accomplishing whatever I set my mind and body to do.

Check my race timehere.
Look for the Bupa Capital 10k - 11 Jun 06 under events, then in the next screen, enter my race number (7677)! I finished the race in just over 1 hour and 6 minutes... out of approximately 5400 runners who had their times registered, my time was good for the 2839th position. Not bad, but not good either. I know I can do better though I don't think I will be able to match the 32 minutes it took for the fastest runner to finish the race!

That's another thing I can cross off my list of the things to do before I die!

Life is Beautiful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home