The Corona Image hosting by Photobucket

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Goodbye Horsley

At long last, my move is complete. It is time to say goodbye to the little village that I have called home for the past 2 1/2 years... Horsley.

It's a little village 20 miles outside of London. By train, it takes approximately 45 minutes into the city. What makes Horsley special?

Could it be the lack of streetlamps? When night falls in this little village, it literally becomes pitch black. This was done on purpose. The people who live in Horsley choose to live here because it offers privacy and the country life just a stones throw away from the city. You want lights? Go live in London, the local council says. We like our darkness! Fortunately, it is a very safe village, and the only thing you really need to be afraid of is stepping on a puddle, or worse, some dogs mess on the sidewalk.

Or maybe its the horses, cows and sheep that I see in the fields when I take long walks around the village. If I am lucky, I will see some rabbits scurrying around the trails as well. If you are a nature lover, you will love Horsley.

This is in stark contrast to all the expensive cars I have seen on the roads around here. Aston Martins, Bentleys, Ferraris... I do not have to look very far to see an exotic car. The latest one I saw was a Ford GT40 rumbling down the roads. Make no mistake, this is a very rich village... and I am probably the poorest one living in it!


The Horsley main street... It has everything a village needs. A local butcher, a bakery, flower shop, green grocer, chip shop, and newsagent. And last but not least, no village is complete without an indian restaurant (and Horsley has a really good one)!


My flat is the one just above the parking spaces... the one with the curved drapes. I loved this flat. Sure, it had the tiniest kitchen and the shower had barely enough pressure to wash off the shampoo out of my hair. But the location was excellent. Just a two minute walk from the train station. This meant that I survived in England without ever driving! People who commute can relate that living close to local transport is a luxury. I would have posted pictures of the inside of my flat but... all of the pictures make it look as if a storm had blown through it (I'm not kidding)!


An old building in Horsley. Actually, I just posted this because I think it's a nice picture (hehe).

I will miss this place. But as with almost all things in life, it is

Off to Shakespeare County I go!

La Vita e Bella!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home